Thursday, January 24, 2013

Because That's What We Do

I have the flu. The real deal. Influenza. It sucks. It's horrible. I feel like that guy on the NyQuil commercial that asks his wife to call his mom for him. This shows my former anti-flu shot self just how bad it can be. I can officially tell you that from here on out, I'll be getting the flu shot. (I know, I know, the flu shot won't protect me 100%, etc, etc. Please don't leave me nasty comments).

Parenting is a hard job to begin with, but throw in the flu (or a cold or something that throws you off your game) and it becomes downright impossible. My dear husband has been fantastic. He took a day off work to help me out and has been picking up all the slack. He's even been doing the middle of the night feeds so I can get a full sleep! (thank goodness little miss will now take a bottle. I'm pumping in overdrive!)

Last night, Elle was having a hard time falling asleep. I was nursing her for the third time in an hour and she finally looked like she was going to fall asleep. My head was pounding. The 17 pound baby in my arms felt like a tonne with my aching muscles, I had to cough but didn't want to wake her up and my nose was running. Pulling a kleenex out of the box sounded like a truck hit the house (which has happened...but that's another story). She had her eyes closed and then suddenly pulled off wide awake. Mt heart sank. I was needing my bed like I need air. Elle looked up at me with her beautiful blue eyes, gave me the biggest two tooth smile I've ever seen and then promptly closed her eyes and fell asleep in my arms. It's like she knew that I had no more to give.

Isn't that the way it works? Just when you think you've had enough, your child makes you smile and melts your heart.

Here's a picture of another family member that melts our hearts every. single. day.


No comments:

Post a Comment