Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Wonderful World Of Composting

Our first house in Peterborough was in the city's green waste pilot project neighbourhood. When we moved this past fall, we realized how spoiled we had been in our waste collection. I recently emailed my two city councilors and our mayor to ask why Peterborough hasn't jumped on the green waste bandwagon. They explained that it was due to a lack of appropriate sites for the green waste area. But I've heard through the grape vine that they didn't want to shell out the money to outfit every household with a green waste bin...
So, since I don't really want city hall to know me (and my illegal chicken grow-op), I decided to forgo the fight with city hall (for now) and get my own composter.
I read through the "Composting for Canada" book (see previous post). It has information on every type of composting option available. From vermiscomposting to anaerobic and aerobic, cold passive and hot active, etc, etc. I had no idea that composting was quite the science. Did you know there was a carbon:nitrogen ratio??? (I'll save that for another time).
I went to Peterborough Green Up and bought myself an Earth Machine composter.
 It is an aeration composter that can be used by filling it and waiting for the whole pile to decompose or as an ever-producing compost, as it has a door on the bottom where you can collect the finished compost.
I picked a spot in the yard, next to where the garden will be. Put it together, secured it to the ground and off to the composting races we go!
Oh...and at Peterborough Green Up, I also signed up for their vermicomposting class where we get a bin + worms and learn how to not kill them. Gage will love it!

2 comments:

  1. I opened my compost today and it was steaming! (Is it deeply nerdy that I was excited about that?) - Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous actually! I wish i had started this whole composting effort sooner.

    ReplyDelete