Friday, October 14, 2011

Getting Ready To Say Goodbye...

I hate to say it, but it's almost time for my three ladies to return to the farm.
I'm not going to lie, there have been moments during these past 6 months where I wished that I didn't have this extra responsibility but I can assure you these were fleeting thoughts. Was it a bit of a nuisance wrangling neighbours and friends to look after the chickens when we went away for almost two weeks this summer? Yes (and no...because our neighbours and friends are amazing). And who likes getting up on a summer weekend at 6am to let out chickens? Or jumping your neighbour's fence to try and convince a chicken to 'fly' (awkwardly jump) back over to your yard? Or trying to reason with chickens that squawking at cats and squirrels relentlessly is a little annoying? Believe me, they don't listen well or are subject to reasoning.
BUT, as annoying as they were sometimes, this experience was amazing. Yes...chicken keeping is AMAZING. These three little creatures were terrified of me when they first arrived and now, they run towards me when I enter the backyard. Yes, this is only because they think I have brought them a treat (which I usually do) and no, they still don't let me pick them up...but going from terrified to happy to see me was a huge step!
And let us not forget that these three beauties (I hope they don't find that term demeaning...I do find them beautiful) have been providing our little family with over a dozen eggs a week, teaching my son where some of his food comes from, providing hours of entertainment to us and our neighbours and totally upped my 'cool' factor by at least three.
Man...it's going to be hard to say goodbye.
p.s. Before you write me asking "If you're not ready to say goodbye, why don't you just keep them"?
My response is: a) I've rented them. No there wasn't a contract but renting means I don't own them. b) It's the middle of October. That means that snow is closer than we would like to admit and I can't say that I'd be a fan of having to go out in the middle of a snow storm to release the hens. I'm not a winter person...and I'm not ashamed to admit it (even though I am a proud Canadian).

No comments:

Post a Comment