Sunday, September 4, 2011

Another Checked Off The 'To Do' List

There's nothing like the impending start of the school year to make you think of all those items on your summer 'to do' list. With school starting on Tuesday, there were a couple things that I wanted to get done before then. One being making my own vanilla extract.
I saw this on The Prairie Homestead. She made a list of five food items she would never buy again. I had no idea you could make your own vanilla extract and I'm curious as to how it will turn out.
I bought 6 vanilla beans from the bulk store and a 1.14L bottle of vodka. The beans aren't cheap but considering you pay $12 for a 235ml bottle of pure vanilla extract, I think it's worth it.
The Process:
1. Split the skin of the vanilla beans open lengthwise. This exposes the vanilla seeds inside to the vodka.
































2. Cut the beans into 3" pieces


















3. Put beans into a clean, 1L sized Mason jar.























4. Fill jar with vodka.























5. Steep for atleast 3 months (longer if you can wait!)


















I really should have made this at the beginning of summer so I can give some away as Christmas gifts. Oh the gift of hindesight.


1 comment: